commons-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release commons-sandbox-parent 1
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2007 20:02:20 GMT

On 23.06.2007, at 18:59, Rahul Akolkar wrote:

> On 6/23/07, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It is time to release version 1 of the commons-sandbox-parent. The
>> latest changes includes updating the parent to commons-parent-3 and
>> locking down the versions for plugins. Note that I have changed the
>> artifactId to commons-sandbox-parent, to have a consistent naming
>> scheme
>> (compare it to commons-parent).
>>
>> This will be the first release and is important because it enables
>> reproducible builds and site generation for the sandbox components.
>>
> <snip/>
>
> I haven't yet understood why we need to release anything from the
> sandbox at all. Sure, reproducibility is a good thing, but I doubt the
> builds are radically irreproducible without this release; and more
> importantly, I believe if people are interested in the sandbox
> components and their reproducibility, they should help get a release
> out instead.

IMO that's not very pragmatic. I think we would want to lower the
barrier and get people involved. Providing a POM will make builds
easier for the people that we want to attract.

What I am failing to understand is what the fuzz is about. It's a
POM ...it's metadata - not an artifact. No code!

So here is my +1 for the release.

cheers
--
Torsten