commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release commons-sandbox-parent 1
Date Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:34:22 GMT
> On 6/23/07, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It is time to release version 1 of the commons-sandbox-parent. The
> > latest changes includes updating the parent to commons-parent-3 and
> > locking down the versions for plugins. Note that I have changed the
> > artifactId to commons-sandbox-parent, to have a consistent naming scheme
> > (compare it to commons-parent).
> >
> > This will be the first release and is important because it enables
> > reproducible builds and site generation for the sandbox components.
> >
> <snip/>
>
> I haven't yet understood why we need to release anything from the
> sandbox at all. Sure, reproducibility is a good thing, but I doubt the
> builds are radically irreproducible without this release; and more
> importantly, I believe if people are interested in the sandbox
> components and their reproducibility, they should help get a release
> out instead.

I think you have a good point there, Rahul, but I would see this as a
commons release, not a commons-sandbox release and I personally see
the benefit (consistent builds, easier to get a sandbox component to
build when jumping in) as outweighing the negatives (increasing
likelihood people depend on sandbox components, making the sandbox
more "comfortable"), especially given that we are *not* releasing any
sandbox jars.

I have a couple of comments on the pom itself before adding my +1, though.

Sorry if I missed this before, but I don't see why we should include
the reports that are added to the sandbox POM.  The ones in the parent
are the only ones that I see as *always* needed.  I have thought about
suggesting that we drop the RAT report from there.  At different
stages of development, different reports make sense and I personally
prefer to maintain the list per component, other than things like
javadoc that you are never going to want to turn off.

Another minor comment is that it might be better to move the pom and
site into a sandbox-parent in svn.  This obviously has nothing to do
with the release vote.

Phil