commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r552049 - /jakarta/commons/proper/betwixt/trunk/src/java/org/apache/commons/betwixt/strategy/ConvertUtilsObjectStringConverter.java
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2007 23:39:30 GMT
On 6/29/07, mvdb@apache.org <mvdb@apache.org> wrote:
> Author: mvdb
> Date: Fri Jun 29 15:23:25 2007
> New Revision: 552049

> Log:
> Fix Gump build failure and also made sure the fix runs on BeanUtils 1.7. The only solution
I could find is to copy the ConvertUtils.convert( object ) code and call an internal method
from Betwixt itself.
> If people want to use beanutils in the new way, it's up to them to create a new defaultconverter.

Thinking about this change - I believe in solving one issue you create
another. Consider someone that has created a custom ConvertUtilsBean
implementation and overriden the convert(Object) method and registered
that in ConvertUtils - now their method no longer gets invoked so IMO
this is as much as a break in compatibility for Betwixt users as the
issue its trying to resolve.

Niall