commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release CLI 1.1
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 02:15:59 GMT
> I think we're finally ready for CLI 1.1 to be released:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-cli/1.0-rc1/
>
> with the site in:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-cli/1.0-rc1/site/
>
> One quirk to note. The site is from trunk while the release is from
> the 1.0.x branch (needs renaming).
>
> [ ] +1, quick release before it's 5 years since 1.0
> [ ] -1, let's go for 6 years

Theres too much on the CLIRR report IMO for this to be a bug fix
release - I'm not that familiar with CLI but most (all?) don't seem
necessary for this 1.1 release

1) Why not deprecate the public fields in HelpFormatter rather than
making them private?
2) IMO removing the Cloneable interface from Option seems just as bad
as leaving it in broken (and actually fixing it doesn't seem that
difficult).
3) Why not deprecate the public addValue() method in Option rather
than changing the visibility to package (and removing boolean return
type)?
4) Could an additional interface that extends CommandLineParser that
adds the new methods have not been introduced instead?

I don't subscribe to the "never break backwards compatibility" - but I
do believe in deprecate/remove cycles and trying to retain
compatibility in bug fix releases. For me there's too much in this
one. If it was just the CommandLineParser - which does seem to offer
benefits to the user - and is mitigated by the fact that (hopefully)
most people will have extended Parser and be unaffected, then I would
probably buy that argument.

Niall