commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release commons-sandbox-parent 1
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:58:12 GMT
Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> On 6/23/07, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6/23/07, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > <snip/>
>> >
>> > I haven't yet understood why we need to release anything from the
>> > sandbox at all. Sure, reproducibility is a good thing, but I doubt the
>> > builds are radically irreproducible without this release; and more
>> > importantly, I believe if people are interested in the sandbox
>> > components and their reproducibility, they should help get a release
>> > out instead.
>> >

>> I think you have a good point there, Rahul, but I would see this as a
>> commons release, not a commons-sandbox release and I personally see
>> the benefit (consistent builds, easier to get a sandbox component to
>> build when jumping in) as outweighing the negatives (increasing
>> likelihood people depend on sandbox components, making the sandbox
>> more "comfortable"), especially given that we are *not* releasing any
>> sandbox jars.
>>
> <snip/>
>
> I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate. I am not impressed by
> any of these benefits (I'm not trying to be curt, I don't know how
> else to put it). Moreover, I agree about the negatives.

So what are the negatives here? I have not seen anyone put forward any
arguments yet as to why releasing the sandbox parent pom would be bad.
We are *not* talking about releasing sandbox components! Please,
enlighten me.

> I see this as being distilled, and worse -- recurring, busy work.

Well, Carlos asked for a release of the pom. I imagine that he has a
good reason for this. So I stepped up to do the release. If I don't mind
doing the job - why should you care?

--
Dennis Lundberg