commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [vote] releasing jci RC3 as 1.0 ...maybe this time?
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:12:22 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

>>> See above ...I think subversion is our source distribution. I don't
>>> really see a point in providing a classic source distribution. But
>>> maybe that's too much change for now ;)
>>
>> Yes, too much for me at least.  In theory, voting on a tag and
>> pointing users there to get sources still could be viewed as a
>> release, but that is a big change from current practice and
>> inconvenient for users who prefer to build from release sources.
>
> It is a big change ...but who says that changes are bad? ;)
>
> But seriously: be realistic. Those people building the releases from
> will have subversion on their machine. And what can be simpler than a
> one-liner to checkout the sources? Even downloading it from an apache
> mirror is more work.

People may have subversion but may not be able to use it.

For example, I cannot use svn (nor cvs for that matter) through my
corporate firewall. When I need a package that is only available by
checking out from its repository, I have to check it out from home, put
it on an USB stick and copy it the next day at work. It is very
inconvenient.

Luc