commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 3rd attempt: Release commons-io 1.3.2
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 23:19:53 GMT
Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> Please cast your vote.
> [ ] +1
> [ ] =0
> [ ] -1

Hmmm, I feel I'd like to vote -1, but that does seem a little unfair as
I obviously haven't been following that closely. Officially, my vote is
a -0.

I hadn't tracked the changes going into [io], but I was surprised to
find a newly deparecated class in a minor point release. I would suggest
that deprecations should be avoided for minor point releases (that are
supposed to be just small bugfixes).

My preference would be for one of these to occur:

a) FileCleaner to be non-deprecated (see below)

b) FileCleaner to be non-deprecated in 1.3.2, but deprecated in 1.4

c) This release to be 1.4

Despite all the discussions, I still believe that having a static method
version of FileCleaner seems useful to me. Why should we force our users
to have to hold the static reference if they only want or need a singleton?

Stephen