commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "Email" by BenSpeakmon
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:45:24 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by BenSpeakmon:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Email

The comment on the change is:
Update fixes and currently open issues.

  ----

- = Recently resolved issues (last updated Feb 23 2007) =
+ = Recently resolved issues (last updated Jun 12 2007) =
+
+ == New features ==
+
+ ''(Added in rev 545815)'' [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-35 EMAIL-35]: Allow
DataSources to be directly embedded in HtmlEmails.

  == Bug fixes ==

@@ -37, +41 @@

  ''(Added in rev 510704)'' [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-63 EMAIL-63]: Submitted
maven 2 pom.xml.

+ ''(Added in rev 544629)'' [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-64 EMAIL-64]: use
a different test email server from a live project, not a dead one. Patch available to use
wiser from the [http://subethasmtp.tigris.org/ subethasmtp project]. The test cases have been
ported and the wiser packages uploaded to maven2 for the enjoyment of all.
+
  == Waived features ==

  ''(Waived for 1.1)'' [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-56 EMAIL-56]: Support
creating Email subclasses from MimeMessages.

  ''(BenSpeakmon) One of the MimeMessage constructors in JavaMail (both 1.3 and 1.4) already
does this, BTW. I'm not sure this is something that falls within commons-email's scope. The
commons-email API, I think, is for the common cases where you just want to build and send
an email without needing the power (or complexity) of JavaMail. If you're already pulling
messages from an email server, I don't know why you wouldn't just use JavaMail for manipulating
it -- the power and complexity is just what you need for those kinds of jobs. And it doesn't
seem worth the trouble to duplicate any of that code in commons-email when the existing code
works just fine. I'd recommend WONTFIXing this one.''

- = Open issues (last updated Feb 22 2007) =
+ = Open issues (last updated Jun 12 2007) =

  These are the currently open issues organized according to category.

  == New feature requests ==
-
- [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-35 EMAIL-35]: Allow DataSources to be directly
embedded in HtmlEmails. Patch available.

  [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-6 EMAIL-6]: Allow attaching one subclass of
Email to another.

@@ -57, +61 @@

  I think that this has to fall into that class of problems that would be better served with
JavaMail, so I'd recommend this be wontfixed.''

- == Build fixes/enhancements ==
+ [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-65 EMAIL-65]: Improve HtmlEmail MIME layout.

- [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-64 EMAIL-64]: use a different test email server
from a live project, not a dead one. Patch available to use wiser from the [http://subethasmtp.tigris.org/
subethasmtp project]. subethasmtp's maintainer has no interest in putting the JDK 1.4-compatible
version into maven, so we'll have to handle that.
+ Morten Hatteson makes the point that the MIME structure generated by HtmlEmail after the
patch for EMAIL-50 could be better in spec compliance. I doubt we can fix it properly while
still maintaing backward compatibility, but we should see if it can be improved to some degree.
This is likely going to be the last release of this component, and I'd like to leave it in
as good a shape as possible if I'm going to tell users to live with it forever.
+
  ----

  = Release Plan =