commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release commons-parent 3
Date Sun, 20 May 2007 16:02:10 GMT

> Should have been more clear in my question.  If you partially
> configure a plugin in the parent,  can you then just add stuff, such
> as the version, in a child without repeating the things specified in
> the parent config?  If the answer to that is "no" then there is no
> value in partially configuring plugins in the parent.

At a minimum, the parent would only mention the plugin version numbers
in <pluginManagement>.  That's what will pin the plugin version number
and increase the likelyhood of having reproducible builds.

<pluginManagement> only "kicks in" when a child project uses the
plugin, either with a declaration in <plugins><plugin> or using the
defaults without configuration.  (For example, the 'clean' plugin
usually isn't configured.)

If the project wants a different plugin version, then it can specify
that in <plugins><plugin> along with any project-specific
configuration.  The important part is that the version number is
configured somewhere in the pom hierarchy, rather than depending on
the latest release which could change.

You can also put configuration in <plugins><plugin> in the parent pom
that will be inherited, but only things that are common to all
projects should go there.

--
Wendy