commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [beanutils] commons collection classes
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 14:29:48 GMT
On 5/18/07, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:
> On 18.05.2007, at 13:57, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>
> > I wasn't part of the decision at the time, but (at least some if not
> > all) these classes are in the BeanUtils public API so changing the
> > package would have (and still will) broken binary compatibility (to
> > remove the dependency on Collections 'coz of its incompatibility
> > between versions!) - they were copied and (AFAIK) the parts of the
> > public API deprecated with the intention of removing them in the next
> > release - but there hasn't been one since that was done and 1.7.0
> > released.
>
> I am not pointing fingers. But whatever it takes - having those
> classes in there like this is not acceptable and needs to be fixed ASAP.

I've created a Jira ticket for this and attached a patch which shows
where the copied classes are used - its actually only FastHashMap.
Some changes have zero impact, so I'll apply those parts. Then its a
case of deciding what to do - IMO we should just delete the 3 unused
classes. FastHashMap could either be removed or re-packaged. When I
have time I'll have a look at the impact on Struts - since I think
thats probably the reason for the 3 unused classes.

Niall