commons-dev mailing list archives

From Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <thunderax...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [beanutils] commons collection classes
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 19:56:03 GMT
Stephen Colebourne skrev  den 18-05-2007 18:37:

> Changing the package name would have been, and still is, backwards
> incompatible. As such it is unacceptable for such a widely used
> package as [beanutils]. I am -1 to arbitrarily changing the package name.
>
> We really need a prime directive in commons. Don't break backwards
> compatibility. Every time we do we cause problems down the line - its
> simple due to our status as the lowest of low libraries. And again,
> this also emphasises that each commons library works much better when
> it stands alone - no dependencies.
I agree that it is important, actually crucial.  People trust in these
modules, and _if_ they break something when upgrading it is very
prominently displayed on the download page etc.   I think it would be a
bad idea to deliberatly introduce such things.

I suggest marking the offending methods as deprecated for the 1.x
series, and schedule them for removal in the 2.x series.

--
  Thorbjørn