commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: [all] Going TLP?
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:33:42 GMT
"Henri Yandell" <flamefew@gmail.com> writes:

>I think the end should be nigh for Jakarta (those on private@ will
>have seen a thread in which I side-topic'd with the feeling that the
>end should be nigh for Jakarta). Previously I've suggested that
>Commons should flatten into Jakarta and that Jakarta should become a
>general 'Java components' project; however there are some negatives to
>that that I think are critical.

>Firstly, it leaves the future Jakarta with a lot of dead projects that
>are going nowhere. That's not going to change in the short to medium
>term, so it just becomes a millstone for the project's neck.

>Secondly, the Jakarta PMC will always remain a big group of people who
>care about the brand name and the various legacies, rather than a
>small focused PMC. I think this isn't desirable for any active
>community that are a part of Jakarta currently - trying to have a PMC
>that are acting as one community when not being one community doesn't
>work.

>Thirdly, I think by being here we are helping to delay the inevitable
>and keeping the old, broken umbrella going. Moving to TLP will help
>things move along, and will provide a place for things to move to.

>So with that said - I'd like to propose that we move to commons.apache.org.

+1 to that, -0 to the name.

"commons" is too generic. There is already an XML commons and I could
imagine that at some point we might sprout commons for other
languages, too (however this was suggested again and again and never
materialized, so this might be moot).

"Java Commons" would be fine with me, it will be shortened to
"commons" anyway.

	Best regards
		Henning
--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,               |gls
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person              |eau
                                                                            |m k
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350     |a s
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen |n

	       "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."