commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Jira Groups and Roles
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:42:33 GMT
> > On 4/4/07, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Can anyone say what the usual practice is for assigning groups/roles
> > > for people once they become a committer?
> > >
> > > Theres a "Jakarta Developer" group - it gets you "committer" role for
> > > Commons Lang and JCI but strangely nothing else.
> > >
> > > Would be simpler if it was documented somewhere.
> >
> > Yeah, it's a bit of a mess.
> >
> > The new JIRA release added the concept of project roles - which is
> > great for many Apache projects. However we want to be able to grant
> > project roles to N JIRA projects at the same time and it doesn't help
> > with that.
> >
> > So we need to stay on the old system of assigning a group to the
> > project, rather than messing around with roles too much (though the
> > roles stuff does allow for permission to be granted in the short term
> > while a request for being added to the group is made).
> >
> > Jeff did a bulk reconfiguration of JIRA and it was only afterwards
> > that I understood sufficiently that it won't help us much. So now we
> > need to go ahead and add the jakarta-developers group to each project
> > role administrator bit.
>
> *pondering*
>
> Might be eaier to setup a Jakarta Permission that sets the group as
> having read/write by default, instead of using the Standard Permission
> and doing lots of configuring. That should be doable I think.

I bow to your greater (and my lack of) Jira knowledge - but seeing
that "Jakarta Devs" causes someone to automatically get "JCI and LANG
commiter role" - shouldn't we just have two groups that do the same
for all Commons. I was thinking something like

"Commons Committer" group --> commiter role on all components
"Jakarta PMC" --> pmc role on all jakarta sub-projects

Niall