commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jci] out of the sandbox
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2007 01:39:33 GMT
On 3/16/07, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:
> I'd like to bring this well before an actual vote.
>
> At the moment I am still in the middle of documenting and fixing up
> JCI for a first 1.0 release. I hope to be able to provide a first RC1
> at the end of next week ...latest the week after.
>
> There are a few things about JCI that are worth talking about.

<snip-community/>

> 2) Multi-project
>
> JCI uses the maven2 multi-project feature for modularity. Now this
> makes it the first multi-project release in commons and question is
> how we should handle versioning and voting procedure. In theory it
> would be good to be able to have individual releases of the modules.
> Suggestions are welcome.

<snap/>

Seems like a bad idea for a Commons component:
 * Potential confusion due to version numbers of modules moving
independently etc..
 * Its unlikely that releasing one module is significantly easier than
releasing all.
 * Its likely that even though after a given quantum of time major
changes are in one module (hence the temptation to release
separately), there will probably be little changes elsewhere that are
good to push out anyway
 * Data points around us -- even larger multi-project m2 builds like
Shale (Struts too, I believe) release all bits together (yes, not all
reasons there make sense here, but ... data points).

> 3) Site
>
> Another thing that comes with the multi-module is that
> (unfortunately) maven's multi-project reporting facilities still
> suck! At the moment this still means that some of reports are just
> empty. The only other option would be to have a sub-site for each
> individual model - but for JCI that would be just overkill. Please
> just have a look what needs to be changed for a release.
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jci/

<snip/>

How about:
 * A little guide? Tiny code snippets?
 * package.html files?

> 3) groupId
>
> I would like to use the proper maven2 groupId naming scheme for JCI.

<snap/>

Sure.

-Rahul