commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jci] out of the sandbox
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2007 10:45:57 GMT
On 3/17/07, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:
> I'd like to bring this well before an actual vote.
>
> At the moment I am still in the middle of documenting and fixing up
> JCI for a first 1.0 release. I hope to be able to provide a first RC1
> at the end of next week ...latest the week after.
>
> There are a few things about JCI that are worth talking about.
>

> 1) Community
>
> Frankly speaking there still is no big developer community. There are
> contributors - but so far I am the only one committing. Still the
> project is integral part and heavily used by well known projects like
> Cocoon and Drools (plus more of course). Now both communities are
> eagerly waiting for a release (as this also blocks their release
> process). IMO community should not be too much of a concern. If there
> is a bug and I don't - I know they will dig into it. JCI might have
> well more people behind it than other components we have. Oh ...and
> testcase coverage is good :)
>
> So question is whether it is OK to move JCI out of the sandbox - soon.

Sounds good to me. A component being "alive" and getting close to
being release ready is IMO good enough criteria. To the outside world
I don't think theres much difference when there hasn't been a release
- and with now having a "dormant" area we also have a place to put
things that graduate and then do nothing.

> 2) Multi-project
>
> JCI uses the maven2 multi-project feature for modularity. Now this
> makes it the first multi-project release in commons and question is
> how we should handle versioning and voting procedure. In theory it
> would be good to be able to have individual releases of the modules.
> Suggestions are welcome.

What are the different modules for - can you give a brief description?

> 3) Site
>
> Another thing that comes with the multi-module is that
> (unfortunately) maven's multi-project reporting facilities still
> suck! At the moment this still means that some of reports are just
> empty. The only other option would be to have a sub-site for each
> individual model - but for JCI that would be just overkill. Please
> just have a look what needs to be changed for a release.

The homepage is just about as minimalist as it gets - at least a
couple of paragraphs giving a flavour would be nice and maybe the odd
example.

> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jci/

> 3) groupId
>
> I would like to use the proper maven2 groupId naming scheme for JCI.

+1

Niall