commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Kestle <stephen.kes...@orionhealth.com>
Subject Re: [collections] VOTE: Collections-java5 direction ; notifying collections
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:34:36 GMT
Bryce L Nordgren wrote:
> First, let me understand the proposal.  Is a 1.4 compatible version of
> commons-collections going to continue to be supported simultaneously with
> the 1.5+ "reboot"?  Your answer above indicates "no".

I just re-read that:  The current version of collections will still be
supported, just not extended (AFAIK - although, what that means is less
certain. There wasn't any activity on the new! exciting! generic version
of collections for months until I spoke up a few days ago.  But
maintenance is the intention, I believe).

The new version will not be 1.4 compatible (by design - however, I
believe that it would be possible to retroweave it to 1.4 without any
trouble.  But you'd still lose any "type safe" cast methods
MapUtils.getDouble() etc.)
> However, if the answer is "yes", I can go away happy and stop bothering everyone with
large codebase maintenance issues.

Go away, happy man :p

PS.  That line is completely in jest and good humour, lest that be lost
in the ether.
PPS.  I'm really not qualified to say that we *will* be doing
maintenance on the current version, so you can't really go away anyhow.
Stephen C or someone needs to verify.

Cheers

Stephen K