commons-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r512384 - in /jakarta/commons/proper/math/trunk: pom.xml project.xml
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2007 21:35:34 GMT
Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> luc@apache.org wrote :
>
>> Modified: jakarta/commons/proper/math/trunk/pom.xml
> [snip]
>> -      <name>Jörg Weimar</name>
>> +      <name>J�rg Weimar</name>
>
> It seems the name of this contributor get corrupted when I checked in
> the pom file after modifying unrelated lines. The XML header does not
> specify any encoding here, so the default value should be UTF-8 but in
> fact the original character was not UTF-8.
>
> I could fix this either by simultaneaously ensuring UTF-8 encoding in
> the XML header and using an UTF-8 character, or by using a XML entity
> (&#246; in this case). Is there some widely adopted policy for pom files
> and do they really support non-ASCII characters ?

I'm not aware of an Apache wide policy, either for POM files or
XML in general. Using an entity makes it harder for people which
want to have just a quick look at the file using a text editor;
most modern text editors allow to adjust the character encoding
quickly.
My recommendation: add an encoding to the XML declaration (even
if it is UTF-8) in order to make the encoding obvious for anyone
opening the fil in a text editor, and use the Unicode character
directly instead of a character reference.

HTH
J.Pietschmann