commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "Collections/GenericCollections/DevelopmentGuidelines" by StephenKestle
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:17:48 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by StephenKestle:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Collections/GenericCollections/DevelopmentGuidelines

The comment on the change is:
Added test coverage section

  (This page needs debate or consensus)

- == Testing ==
+ == Testing / QA ==
  As a core Java development API (and without any external system dependencies), Collections
should have a set of tests that are '''deterministic (quasi-mathmatical) proofs''' of the
operation of the system.  Each test should stand alone.

  === JUnit 4 ===
@@ -13, +13 @@

  === Mock Objects ===
  For testing the new version, we will be using [dynamic] Mock Objects.  This is because they
provide absolute isolation of the classes under test.  Because the collections package is
a core api, and is relatively simple, there is no need to test with fully constructed objects
[and they'd get in the way over time].

+ === Coverage ===
+ (This really needs soem debate)
+ For many of the classes, 100% coverage is warranted - CollectionUtils etc.  In others, some
leniency may be warranted (PredicateUtils.andPredicate).  However, 100% should be aimed for
as this is a core java api, and where it is not achieved, some explanation/consideration should
be given.
+
+ [http://emma.sourceforge.net EMMA] seems to be a good fit for acheiving high coverage, as
it supports the notion of [http://emma.sourceforge.net/faq.html#q.fractional partial line
coverage].  It's license is CPM (which I think is ASL compatible), where as Cobertura is GPL'd,
and so is not suitable [or is it?  this is only for building, and is not extended].
+