commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "Daemon" by ChristophSauer
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2007 13:13:42 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by ChristophSauer:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Daemon

The comment on the change is:
how can I start a windows service?

  = Overview =
  Commons Daemon http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/daemon/index.html can be used to run executables
or java applications as windows service or UNIX daemon.
  = FAQ =
+
  == Is it possible to use the commons daemon to run a executable as Windows service? ==
  Yes, not only java applications can be installed as windows service. Similar to the Srvany.exe
tool any other exe can be used.
+
  === Sample: Proxomitron (http://www.proxomitron.info/) as windows service ===
  Installation:
  prunsrv //IS//PROXO --DisplayName="Proxomitron Proxy" --Description="Proxomitron Web Proxy"
--StartImage=c:\proxomitron\proxomitron.exe --StartPath=c:\proxomitron   --Type=interactive
--LogLevel=DEBUG --LogPath=c:\proxomitron\logs --LogPrefix=procrun.log --Startup=manual --StdOutput=c:\proxomitron\logs\stdout.log
--StdError=c:\proxomitron\logs\stderr.log

  Uninstallation:
  prunsrv //DS//PROXO
+
  == Can I use the commons daemon to install (register) a Windows service? ==
  Yes a Windows service can be installed/uninstalled using prunsrv. See the following example
to install the a Windows Service called SCNService:
  prunsrv //IS//SCNService --Install=%CD%\SCNService.exe --Startup=manual --DisplayName=SCNService

  Hint: prunsrv will add "//RS//SCNService" to the ImagePath, which will be passed to SCNService.exe
when the Windows SCM (Service Control Manager) is staring the service. Most Services will
ignore such command line arguments, but you should check this with your service just to make
sure.

+ == Can I use the common daemon to start a Windows service? ==
+ I can stop a windows service with //SS//ServiceName. As I tried to start it again with //RS//
nothing happend?

  == UNIX Return codes ==
   * 0 = Successful operation