commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jörg Schaible <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons DBCP 1.2.2
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:34:00 GMT
Hi Phil,

Phil Steitz wrote:

> On 2/15/07, Jörg Schaible <> wrote:
>> Hi Phil,
>> sorry I am late and I downloaded the source package, compiled and run all
>> tests in Gentoo Linux with Maven for Sun JDK 1.4.2, Sun JDK 1.5.0,
>> Blackdown JDK 1.4.2_03, IBM JDK, and IBM JDK and all
>> tests run fine for these.
>> It fails for JRockit and though with:
>> ============================== %< ==================
>> Testsuite: org.apache.commons.dbcp.TestBasicDataSource
>> Tests run: 33, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 4,364 sec
>> Testcase:
>> testCreateDataSourceCleanupThreads(
>> org.apache.commons.dbcp.TestBasicDataSource):
>> expected:<1> but was:<2>
>> junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected:<1> but was:<2>
>>         at
>> (
>>         at jrockit.reflect.VirtualNativeMethodInvoker.invoke(
>> Ljava.lang.Object
>> [Ljava.lang.Object;)Ljava.lang.Object;(Unknown Source)
>> ============================== %< ==================
> Ugh.  The test that is failing is to confirm  the fix for DBCP-93, which
> is
> essentially a thread leak.  In retrospect, it was probably not a good idea
> to include a check of the form assertEquals(threadCount,
> Thread.activeCount()), as appears in this test, since Thread.activeCount
> is not really guaranteed
> to be accurate.  In the case of JRockit, the docs mention something to the
> effect of monitoring threads being spawned periodically.  Before the fix,
> the test case would have orphaned 10 threads, post fix JRockit is
> reporting
> one extra thread.  I think it is best to do something to fix this, but am
> not sure what would be best.  Eliminating the test is one option, or
> changing the test to allow one or two extra threads would also work.  I
> see this as a blocker, since this test was introduced in 1.2.2 and the
> build
> should succeed on JRockit.  Any suggestions?

When I try to run the tests from within Eclipse with the JRockit JDK,
anything works. OTOH when I tried to run the tests yesterday with Maven
under heavy load of my machine (compiling KOffice), the test succeeded
also, but two others were failing :-/ Nevertheless, the test above fails
on "normal" terms always on my machine with Maven/JRockit, so it at least

I looked at the test, but it seems I don't grok from a quick look enough of
the internals of dbcp to say anything useful. Since I have some experience
with other concurrent tests, what about joining the evictor thread and wait
for it to stop (at least for a reasonable time)? If it has a unique name,
you can address it from the test ...

> Additionally, you've realized that the complete package is no longer
>> compatible with JDK 6? I don't know what we can really do about it, since
>> the new JDBC version defines a lot of new methods for java.sql.Statement
>> and java.sql.Connection and - even worse - some of those methods have
>> arguments or return values only avalable in JDK 6.
> This is being tracked as DBCP-191.  We can discuss this post 1.2.2, at
> which time we may want to create a separate 1.6 branch and version.

OK, I did not recognized this.

> Unless someone comes up with a really clever solution, there's nothing we
>> can do about it and this is not even documented somewhere in the release.
> Yes, should probably have included DBCP-191 in the "significant open
> issues"
> in the release notes.  I will do that.
> Thanks for the feedback and testing.


To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message