commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: m2 groupIds
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:49:01 GMT
nicolas de loof wrote on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 9:19 AM:

> That would'nt work anyway
>
> If you allready downloaded commons-cc:1.1 and get (maybe
> transitiviely) a dependency on org.apache.commons:cc:1.2, you will
> get both in
> your classpath
> as maven will not kwon those tow groupIds are for the same artifact.
>
> We can't expect maven to reload the 1.1 POM that is allready
> present in
> local repository (an other cache/mirror/proxy)
> We could only expect maven to know from the 1.2 POM that what the old
> groupId was to establish the two artifacts are same. This
> requires some
> changes in the POM format to include a section about artifact
> "history" in maven repo.

Yep. You're right. Another missing gap. If the new POM contains some information, that it
had been relocated from a different place, Maven could take it into account. Currently Maven
knows about the relocation only, if you try to download an uncached version from the repo
with the old groupId. If the dep is referenced with the new groupId already, Maven is as blind
as reading old POMs from the cache.

I fear switching the groupId for commons will create some real disruptions :-/

- Jörg