commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.4 based on RC1
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 03:49:50 GMT
On 2/11/07, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:

> On 12/02/2007, at 9:26 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > On 2/11/07, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
> >> Henri Yandell wrote:
> >> <snip/>
> >> the m2

> >> This is
> >> only for

> >> the same
> >> or my
> >> it', but

> >> fails,

> >> The problem seems to be that one of our dependencies (I guess it is
> >> commons-dbcp) depends on this package. M2 tries to resolve these
> >> transparent dependencies and thus fails. I will add a note about
> >> this to
> >> our building page, this should be sufficient, shouldn't it?
> >
> > I think two things need to happen:
> >
> > 1) The DBCP release needs to be changed to say it's provided (I think
> > that's the right solution there? or is it virtual?)
>
> Actually, it's only optional on JDK 1.4+, and since c-dbcp supports
> older JDKs (I presume?), it should be put in a profile in those (only
> add the dependency on jdk 1.3).
>
> > 2) If Config has to be released before the next DBCP release (likely),
> > then it should exclude that dependency (you can put excludes inside
> > the dependency elements).
>
> Here, you would need to have two profiles - for 1.3 (assuming that's
> supported in c-c) that includes c-dbcp as is, and for 1.4+ that
> includes c-dbcp with an exclusion.
>
> Once DBCP is released with the above fix, you can move to just a
> single dep again.

I am preparing DBCP 1.2.2 final now.  What exactly should I be doing?  The
jdk  <= 1.3 version of DBCP does not  build  under maven - even maven 1 -
because it needs to use conditional compilation to handle JDBC version step
down.  The Ant build handles this, and has build properties configured to
locate the std-ext jar.  The maven 1 build has no dependency on the std-ext
jar (but only works on 1.4+).

Phil

- Brett