commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.4 based on RC1
Date Sun, 11 Feb 2007 23:02:13 GMT

On 12/02/2007, at 9:26 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On 2/11/07, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
>> Henri Yandell wrote:
>> <snip/>
>> the m2

>> This is
>> only for
>> >
>> > OS X. JVM 1.5 - the Maven build and Ant build were working in
>> the same
>> > window and I don't have the stdext jars in the maven repository
>> or my
>> > ANT_HOME/lib. So the problem isn't the classic 'we can't ship
>> it', but
>> > that the m1 and ant builds are doing something different to the m2
>> > build.
>> >
>> > I run 'mvn clean package' in the trunk of configuration and it
>> fails,
>> > while 'maven clean jar' passes.
>> >
>> > Hen
>> >
>> The problem seems to be that one of our dependencies (I guess it is
>> commons-dbcp) depends on this package. M2 tries to resolve these
>> transparent dependencies and thus fails. I will add a note about
>> this to
>> our building page, this should be sufficient, shouldn't it?
>
> I think two things need to happen:
>
> 1) The DBCP release needs to be changed to say it's provided (I think
> that's the right solution there? or is it virtual?)

Actually, it's only optional on JDK 1.4+, and since c-dbcp supports
older JDKs (I presume?), it should be put in a profile in those (only
add the dependency on jdk 1.3).

> 2) If Config has to be released before the next DBCP release (likely),
> then it should exclude that dependency (you can put excludes inside
> the dependency elements).

Here, you would need to have two profiles - for 1.3 (assuming that's
supported in c-c) that includes c-dbcp as is, and for 1.4+ that
includes c-dbcp with an exclusion.

Once DBCP is released with the above fix, you can move to just a
single dep again.

- Brett