commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Moynihan <r...@calicojack.co.uk>
Subject Re: Launcher project status
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 13:00:40 GMT
Hi Henri, first off thanks for getting back to me.  Your comments
particularly about shepherding are useful.

Henri Yandell wrote:
> We've not yet broached the subject of moving released components into
> dormancy, but I think the time has come. Discovery, Attributes,
> Launcher and Daemon all strike me as inactive and not something anyone
> has an itch to be supporting.

Rather than pushing projects into Dormancy straight away, would it not
be better to put out an official list of projects which are in need of
maintainers and direction?  This might give such projects a new chance
of life if they are publicly acknowledged as being in danger of falling
into dormancy.  I'm thinking that Apache could run something similar to
the Unmaintained Free Software Wiki:

http://www.unmaintained-free-software.org/

Though I have not used Commons Daemon, it appears to also be a useful
project addressing a need which only one other project I know of
addresses, the Java Service Wrapper.