commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven 2 (WAS: [VOTE] commons-fileupload 1.2 (rc2))
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 20:39:22 GMT
Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>
>> Henri Yandell wrote:

>> I put together this document when I was trying to pull through the whole
>> groupId change last time:
>>
>>    http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-relocation.html
>>
>> There is never a good time to change the groupId. My view is that we
>> should do it when we move to M2, both as a build tool and as the target
>> repository.
>
> Yes, I tried to use this description for a M1 -> M2 situation. In the end
> Carlos' advice was to ignore all the old versions and simply start with the
> new M2 releases also to use the new groupId and add for those releases only
> a relocation POM.

That is a much easier way to do it. I'm starting to think that this is
the way to go for Commons. Just change the groupId when we release with
M2 and don't relocate older versions.

> The problem with adjusting the old releases is, that the
> location for the relocation POMs is already occupied by the automatically
> generated POMs for M2 on the global M2 repo (see
> http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/commons-logging/commons-logging/1.1/).
> And since they're already published, they cannot be changed anymore.

I think you are allowed to add a relocation section to an already
published pom. I vaguely remember discussing this with Carlos back then.

--
Dennis Lundberg