commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Status of the Sandbox?
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:08:19 GMT
On 2/19/07, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:
> > compress - Despite our attempt to get this released, nothing seems to
> > have happened here. Anyone?
>
> IMO the API still needs work. I was trying to implement another
> archiver and just gave up on it.
> With TrueZip working (but being far from perfect either) it is just
> very hard to justify the time investment in this.

I hadn't realised TrueZip supported Tar and BZip as well. Having
noticed that VFS was looking at that it does seem that Compress' days
are numbered and we should send it to dormancy.

> > exec - Niklas did some work last July, but nothing's happened since.
> > Anyone know if the future holds anything for exec?
>
> Been using that ...would think it would be worth getting a 1.0 out of
> the door. But haven't been following the latest changes.

July is latest? :)

> > javaflow - Torsten was working on this last June. Any plans Torsten,
> > or shall we move it to dormant?
>
> Naa.. we should rather release it. There are a few outstanding issues
> - but they are no real blockers but improvements. And quite a few
> people were asking for a release ...and fixing these is on the table
> after jci (see below). The only thing I am seeing as a blocker for
> the release atm is that the testcases are only working from eclipse -
> not maven. (Classloading problems)
>
> > jci - Torsten's active here. How's it looking Torsten?
>
> Working on some changes as we speak. Hope to call for a release in a
> few weeks. (Seriously!)

I don't believe you :)

I do think we need to relax the 3 active committers barrier we have on
promoting things from the sandbox. It's hypocritical given that not
all the released components have that.

Hen