commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Carlos Sanchez" <car...@apache.org>
Subject Re: m2 groupIds
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:45:48 GMT
oh there's a 3rd option that I even like more

3) make new releases in new groupid, no relocations at all
 + easiest ;)
 + users trying to upgrade will need to know that the groupId has
changed and act by themselves, so they will be involved, and in case
of classpath problems they will know what has changed
 - it'd be better to wait until a major/minor release so users can get
bugfixes easily

On 2/13/07, Carlos Sanchez <carlos@apache.org> wrote:
> you can change the old poms to relocate to a new location as long as
> the new location has the same old jars and poms (just groupId change).
> IIRC your case was different.
>
> So, I' see two options for relocation:
>
> 1) when new version is out with new groupId add relocation pom in old
> location just for that new version.
>  + Users updating version in old location will get a warning
>  + easy to do
>   - users may end having old versions and new versions in the
> classpath, that they would have to solve with exclusions
>
> 2) relocate all versions to new groupId
>  + all users will only notice the warnings when using old group
>  + no classpath problems in builds from scratch
>  - harder to implement, will need to write some code
>  - people with commons artifacts cached (almost everybody) will
> experience same problems as in 1, possibly getting two versions in the
> classpath
>
> I'd stick with 1) changing old releases scares me ;) and still doesn't
> guarantee trouble free upgrades
>

> On 2/13/07, Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schaible@elsag-solutions.com> wrote:
> > you cannot change the old POMs anymore, in that case this description is obsolete.
The only valid option is to use the new groupId with a new release and provide for this new
release a relocation POM at the former location. This was Carlos' advice after a two week
hassle to do such a transition with XStream.

--
I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.