commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Carlos Sanchez" <car...@apache.org>
Subject Re: m2 groupIds
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:29:14 GMT
you can change the old poms to relocate to a new location as long as
the new location has the same old jars and poms (just groupId change).
IIRC your case was different.

So, I' see two options for relocation:

1) when new version is out with new groupId add relocation pom in old
location just for that new version.
 + Users updating version in old location will get a warning
 + easy to do
  - users may end having old versions and new versions in the
classpath, that they would have to solve with exclusions

2) relocate all versions to new groupId
 + all users will only notice the warnings when using old group
 + no classpath problems in builds from scratch
 - harder to implement, will need to write some code
 - people with commons artifacts cached (almost everybody) will
experience same problems as in 1, possibly getting two versions in the
classpath

I'd stick with 1) changing old releases scares me ;) and still doesn't
guarantee trouble free upgrades

On 2/13/07, Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schaible@elsag-solutions.com> wrote:
> you cannot change the old POMs anymore, in that case this description is obsolete. The
only valid option is to use the new groupId with a new release and provide for this new release
a relocation POM at the former location. This was Carlos' advice after a two week hassle to
do such a transition with XStream.

> - Jörg

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.