commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [all] jarfiles in svn
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:02:20 GMT
Craig McClanahan <craigmcc <at> apache.org> writes:

> Someone had asked earlier about how Commons projects accomplished this goal
> before Maven.  The answer was a convention for using Ant build.xml scripts
> that referenced a series of "build.properties" files containing definitions
> for things like what commons-digester.jar should I use.  The highest level
> such file consulted was your ${user.home}/build.properties, so it was
> reasonably easy to enforce global usage of common dependencies, as long as
> all the build scripts used the same variable names.

Ah, yes. That's how it works in my company actually.

> In your build script, don't hard code the build to use your particular
> version of the dependency only.  If I have my own version, I'm going to want
> to use it universally.

The build of commons transaction still has some remnants of the above method
(build.properties.sample in root dir and <property
file="${basedir}/build.properties"/> in build.xml). I have not tried it and it
might need some adaptions. But I'd like to know if this is still an acceptable
way at all for Jakarta Commons before I invest any effort to fix it.

So what's the outcome of this discussion?

Jörg