commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [transaction] svn commit: r494203 - in /jakarta/commons/proper/transaction/trunk: RELEASE-NOTES.txt src/java/org/apache/commons/transaction/file/ResourceManager.java
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 22:41:22 GMT
Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar <at> gmail.com> writes:

> <snip/>
>
> This change warrants a major release for [transaction].

Really? I don't mind if the current code is release as 2.0. But for such a minor
change (though in the interface)? Please find my reasoning in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TRANSACTION-11.

Also I read the versioning guideline and can't see whether it really needs a
major release (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/versioning.html):

"Generally speaking, an interface-compatible change will at most change the
private interface of a component, or simply add classes, methods and attributes
whose use is optional to both internal and external interface clients."

"Developers must perform a major release whenever the new release is not at
least interface-compatible the previous release."

IMHO the condition is fulfilled, so the rule does not fire.

Jörg