commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] What's in a distribution?
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2007 23:53:01 GMT

> I dislike the website being put in the distributions. It's a cheap way
> to think you're documenting your project; but having the documentation
> in there is good. I think the solution to this part is to make our
> websites leaner (by moving things into Jakarta's site and nightly
> builds) so that what is left is a better fit for going in the
> distribution.

Well, you at least need the *sources* for the website, in your source
distro, in order to reproduce those bits :-).

For the Commons Projects that I originated, I tried to put all the geeky
how-to technical documentation into the overview.html or package.html  of
the package (see BeanUtils and Digester), thus making them visible as part
of the Javadocs -- in theory the audience interested in this, and the
details of the individual methods, are likely to be the same person.  This
doesn't scale perfectly to large scale frameworks, where the developer needs
to understand how lots of classes (in lots of packages) work together -- but
it's still a good practice IMHO.

Craig