commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Dion Gillard" <dion.gill...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [email] Status and JIRA breakdown
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 05:44:13 GMT
> On 1/10/07, Ben Speakmon <ben.speakmon@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There are currently 13 open issues in JIRA; happily one was closed
> > last week when the OP got a new comment on the issue and marked it
> > closed as being his fault.
>
> There are 13 issues there now. EMAIL-28 seems to be the extra one
> (Thunderbird issue).
>
> Dion, are you still active on [email]?

On and off - I've had a busy start to the new year :-)

> > Of the 13:
>
> JIRA keys makes it easier to know which ones you're referring to.
>
> > 4 issues: Fixes for, or new features for, charset support
> > 4 issues: Improvements to how attachments work
> > 2 issues: Simple-looking performance enhancements (both with patches I
> > reviewed and that seem to be okay)
>
> EMAIL-60 applied. Unsure what the other one was.
>
> Only request is that you create patches from the root of the project
> (ie next to the project.xml) rather than the file itself. Makes it
> much simpler to apply :)
>
> > 1 bug: HTML Emails with images don't display in Outlook 2000
> > (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-50)

I've left a comment on that issue previously about the initial patch,
and I'm not sure if the second patch provides all that is needed to
fix the issue (anyone tested it?)

> > 2 features: adding SSL support and generating Email objects from
> > InputStreams or Strings (both of which seem useful)

Yep, these seem useful - I'll look at them now.

> > I know that email 1.0 was targeted at javamail 1.3 and jaf 1.0.2, but
> > since then the 1.1-SNAPSHOT in the maven file has updated to 1.4 and
> > 1.1 respectively, and Henri committed the patch I submitted to enforce
> > the same versions in the build.xml. Therefore it seems that the
> > decision to ship a 1.1 with the newer versions has already been made,
> > so I don't see why any of the current issues should be postponed to a
> > 2.0 release. Right now email is a very simple API, and I don't see a
> > need either from my own use of it or from the current open issues to
> > push a lot of new features onto it; rather the focus should be on
> > making what's already there work better.

+1

> +1 to 1.4/1.1 and +1 to small improvements rather than any big rethinks.
>
> In your opinion - should all the issues be fixed for 1.1? Or should
> some be wontfix'd or aren't worth the effort?

Let's get a 1.1 plan happening.

> Hen

Rule of Acquisition #91: Hear all, trust nothing.