commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [all] exceptions and localization
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:10:02 GMT
Jörg Schaible wrote:
> My bottom line: If you build an application, you have
 > to do localization (of exception and logging) at the application
 > layer, because only there you can give the user a context, that is
 > really useful. This implies catching exceptions from libraries and
 > wrapping them with your own and it implies also, that you should
 > have access to the basic parts of the exception (e.g. the file name)
 > easily i.e. usign the exeption's API. This part can be provided by
 > common lib (and the JDK fails here often enough badly), but it cannot
 > serve the requirements of an application it has no knowledge of.

I believe that the provision of access to the basic parts of the
exception, as described here, is not unreasonable. Its not one I
consider essential however.

If it can be achieved without over-complicating the exception then fine,
however I suspect that to achieve the goal will require many more
classes and methods than this actually justifies. This is a case for KISS.

Stephen