commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [all] What's in a distribution?
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2007 23:40:42 GMT
Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> 1. What should a source distribution include?

Two things:
- commons-foo-1.0.jar - the binary jar
- The entire svn tree for the project

I include the binary jar file in the source distribution as I want to
ensure that the maximum number of people possible get the genuine binary
jar as created by us and no-one else (eg. minimises JDK1.3 vs JDK1.6 issues)

> 2. What should a binary distribution include?

Three things:
- commons-foo-1.0.jar - the binary jar
- commons-foo-1.0-src-ide.zip - the source code
- The javadoc

I include the source zip in the binary distribution as I think most
people want to attach the source to their jar files, at least in commons.

Stephen