commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Jira reporting
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2007 23:14:12 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 1/2/07, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>> Henri Yandell wrote:
>> > Using the commons-nightly/jira-email.vm swizzle script, I've got a
>> > report for the Commons projects that lets us see the status of things.
>> > Here's the output:
>> >
>> > http://people.apache.org/~bayard/jira-report-for-commons.txt
>> >
>> > The aim is to provide us with information on where projects are
>> > release-wise and where we are in terms of answering new issues. Some
>> > of our components aren't there - for example Jelly which has 77
>> > unversioned issues and Attributes/Discovery which are ready to be
>> > retired. Some of the ones there should probably be removed for having
>> > too many unversioned issues.
>> >
>> > I was pondering whether this would have value to be emailed to
>> > commons-dev once a week?
>> >
>> > Any thoughts?
>> >
>> > Hen
>>
>> Nice!
>>
>> Just need some help with interpretation:
>>
>> Commons BeanUtils   <----- Component (got that one)
>>    1.8.0 - 19 / 79
>>      ^     ^    ^
>>      |     |    |
>> ----+     |    |
>> version   |    |
>>            |    |
>> ----------+    |
>> solved issues  |
>> in that vers.? |
>> ---------------+
>> total scheduled issues for that version?
>
> Explaining it would have been a stunning idea :)
>
> You got it right. Version, resolved, total. Using resolved seemed more
> natural than unresolved. After that I leave it up to human
> interpretation - it's unlikely that "2/2" means that a release should
> happen, but "31/32" should mean it's time to release soon.

And any component with a high number of solved issues deserves a
release, no matter what the total says, say like 40/300.

> I'd like to include a bit of info in the 'Unresolved" list on the
> number of comments (and unique comment authors), but that's not
> currently implemented (either in Swizzle or JIRA not sure where it's
> missing), so I need to go figure out why not.

One thing that I have seen in reports like this one over in Maven land
is the number votes. This is meant to indicate the users wish as to what
issues to deal with first. See this one for the Maven plugins:

http://repo1.maven.org/reports/plugins/plugin-issues.txt

The numbers are:
- total number of votes to the left of the plugin name
- number of votes for the particular issue, to the left of each issue

This one is not sorted alphabetically, but by descending number of votes
per plugin.

--
Dennis Lundberg