commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jxpath] 1.3
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2007 16:45:21 GMT
On 1/4/07, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, for those of you who haven't encountered me
> lurking on commons-dev for the past year or two, I'm a
> member of the Ant PMC and a commons user.  I'm also a
> committer to commons-openpgp in the sandbox but
> haven't done much there (yet?).  :(  Finally, I
> suffered a burst of commons-collections contributions
> last summer or sometime thereabouts.
>
>   Now that I've (hopefully sufficiently) introduced
> myself, I'll get to the point:  I see that there is
> some user demand for a new release of jxpath; indeed I
> am a user who would also benefit from a release,
> always preferable to explaining to your peers why you
> insist on using nightlies... ;)  I'd like to offer to
> help with whatever tasks are necessary to push jxpath
> to a 1.3 release.  I think Dmitri still lurks here but
> best I can tell he's got other things to do.  Plus I
> suppose you eventually don't really feel like
> continuing to look at the same old code, impressive
> though the jxpath code is...
>
> Can somebody (Henri?) offer advice on what I and/or
> other members of the (user and/or Apache committer)
> community might do to get the ball rolling?

My general spiel is that someone who isn't a committer to a project
can heavily influence a release - and then I explain how unit tests
and patches to the JIRA, release organization on a wiki and prodding
of the mail list can be 90% of the work in getting something out.

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-taglibs/Standard_1%2e1%2e3 is an
example - bit of a limited one as I'm a Taglibs committer, but I am
taking two roles in it, external user and then later committer closing
issues and applying patches.

In your case as an existing ASF committer - I'm +1 to your being a
Jakarta committer and getting stuck in on getting a jxpath release
out. If Ant hadn't have left Jakarta right at the beginning of the TLP
migration you'd have been a Jakarta committer anyway. [See vote thread
:) ].

Hen