commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] jarfiles in svn
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2007 05:07:44 GMT
On 1/6/07, Simon Kitching <skitching@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed (due to a recent commit message) that commons-transaction has
> jarfiles checked in to svn, eg
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/transaction/trunk/lib/
>
> What's the general policy on this? Sorry if this has been discussed
> before; I don't remember it.

It has been discussed before, but it's been a while since it's come up. The
general consensus has been "don't do it". There are lots of reasons to avoid
doing this, and no good reasons to do so, especially since we're using Maven
now.

Personally, I really really dislike jarfiles in the version control
> system. For a start, if every project were to do this, the impact on the
> Apache SVN repository would be huge.

Yep. I'm with you on both points.

I would instead prefer to see ant builds using "get" to download jars as
> needed. The maven repositories can be used as a convenient source for
> the jars, eg
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/logging/trunk/build.xml

Right, and an Ant build generated by Maven will in fact get the dependencies
from the Maven repo, just as Maven does.

--
Martin Cooper

BTW, note that there is *no* way to remove a file from SVN once it is