commons-dev mailing list archives

From luc.maison...@free.fr
Subject Re: [all] What's in a distribution?
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 07:59:33 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> I include the binary jar file in the source distribution as I want to
> ensure that the maximum number of people possible get the genuine binary
> jar as created by us and no-one else (eg. minimises JDK1.3 vs JDK1.6 issues)

[snip]

> I include the source zip in the binary distribution as I think most
> people want to attach the source to their jar files, at least in commons.

I don't agree with this point of view. If people need these two parts (pristine
sources and trusted binary), then they could grab both archives. But many other
people only want either one or the other, depending on the use cases Hen
depicted.

We should take care about people having low bandwidth. There are many places in
the world were 56K modems are still the only means to connect to the internet
and were communication costs are high. Putting everything (source, binary,
website ...) in an all-purpose distribution is not user friendly for these
people.

Luc