commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jochen Wiedmann" <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [commons-parent] Make deployment URL pluggable
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:00:18 GMT

> I don't see any reason to change the urls though. If the nightly builds
> don't want to release an RC then it shouldn't use the "rc" profile. The
> profiles were set up to make sure that nothing get's deployed unless
> someone explicitly says it should.
>
> The comment in the patch indicates that it might "if users are working
> locally on people.apache.org". IIUC you are not supposed to do building
> and releasing on that machine. You also risk that someone changes the
> url to something that is completely wrong. Unless there is another
> reason for it, I'm -1 on that change.

Understood your concerns about people.apache.org. Nevertheless, I see
use cases for a pluggable URL.

For example, when doing deployment for the first time, I was very
cautious and feared I might do things wrong. If I had had the chance
to *test* deployment by simply specifying a property like
-Dcommons.deployment.rc.url=file:///tmp/test-repository, then that
would have been nice.

I'd like to see it. Besides, I do not see any negative side effects.
So I'd like to ask you to reconsider your -1.

Jochen

murder, yes, but divorce, never.
(Jack Benny)