commons-dev mailing list archives

From C.Grobmeier <grobme...@possessed.de>
Subject Commons Parser
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:51:03 GMT

Hi all,

i am connecting from an Java Appserver to MQ at the moment, and it's the fifth time in my
life that i have to handle character-messages from a host. Usually i implement something static
to interpret what the host tells me:

HV101020060003TESTTESTTEST

This String could be read at least like this:

Mandant: HV
Request-Date: 10.10.2006
Substructure count: 3
3 Substructures with  the values: TEST

I handle this quite often with substring() and such stuff but this means i have static javacode
and when the structure changes, i change my code. Does anyone have similar problems sometimes?
If so i wonder why there is no Commons Parser or something like that and if commons would
like to have one.

I would like to have:

Definition d = new Definition();
// first is the name, then the length
d.addField("mandant", 2);
d.addSubstructure(MyStructure.class);

With:
new Parser().parse(String message, Definition d);
i would like to get an OrderedMap or something like that.

or something like that. This would it make easier to handle those streams. I don't have a
implementation yet but i am thinking about making one and would like to know if somebody uses
an existing lib for this (i didn't find one) and if this would be cool stuff for commons.

Cheers,
Chris