commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [commons-parent] Make deployment URL pluggable
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:38:15 GMT
Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On 12/29/06, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't see any reason to change the urls though. If the nightly builds
>> don't want to release an RC then it shouldn't use the "rc" profile. The
>> profiles were set up to make sure that nothing get's deployed unless
>> someone explicitly says it should.
>>
>> The comment in the patch indicates that it might "if users are working
>> locally on people.apache.org". IIUC you are not supposed to do building
>> and releasing on that machine. You also risk that someone changes the
>> url to something that is completely wrong. Unless there is another
>> reason for it, I'm -1 on that change.
>
> Understood your concerns about people.apache.org. Nevertheless, I see
> use cases for a pluggable URL.
>
> For example, when doing deployment for the first time, I was very
> cautious and feared I might do things wrong. If I had had the chance
> to *test* deployment by simply specifying a property like
> -Dcommons.deployment.rc.url=file:///tmp/test-repository, then that
> would have been nice.
>
> I'd like to see it. Besides, I do not see any negative side effects.
> So I'd like to ask you to reconsider your -1.
>
> Jochen

I understand your fears when doing your first release - I felt the same
way. The very reason for having a parent pom is to have something that
is tried and tested - it just works. So you shouldn't feel nervous using it.

If you have the need to deploy somewhere else you can easily add another
profile, temporarily, in the component you are working on.

--
Dennis Lundberg