commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [commons-parent] Make deployment URL pluggable
Date Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:08:17 GMT
Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in light of
>
>  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=116560781629523&w=2
>
> and following a suggestion by Jörg Schaible, I'd like to propose the
> attached patch. It introduces properties
>
>    commons.deployment.protocol
>    commons.deployment.release.url
>    commons.deployment.rc.url
>
> The former is specifies as "scp" and may be overwritten, for example,
> to be "scpexe". The others are used by the "release" and "rc"
> profiles, respectively. Both are referencing
> ${commons.deployment.protocol}.
>
> In other words, the proposed patch is upwards compatible with the
> current settings, except that it allows to override the deployment
> protocol or URL. Both makes sense, IMO. For example, nightly builds
> might wish to override the "rc" URL.
>
> Thoughts? If noone else intervenes, I'll apply the patch.
>
> Jochen

The idea of using a different protocol is fine by me, as long as I can
continue to use "scp" is I want to. That does seem to be the default
setting. So +1 for that.

I don't see any reason to change the urls though. If the nightly builds
don't want to release an RC then it shouldn't use the "rc" profile. The
profiles were set up to make sure that nothing get's deployed unless
someone explicitly says it should.

The comment in the patch indicates that it might "if users are working
locally on people.apache.org". IIUC you are not supposed to do building
and releasing on that machine. You also risk that someone changes the
url to something that is completely wrong. Unless there is another
reason for it, I'm -1 on that change.

--
Dennis Lundberg