commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Introducing commons-skin
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2006 08:55:59 GMT
Martin Cooper wrote:

>> Looks good - nice work :)
>>
>> Only bit that leaps out to me as missing are the little arrows to
>> symbolize external links. We may not care.
>

> Actually, I like those. :-)
>
> A couple of things I noticed:
>
> * The "Docs for 2.2" is missing. Personally, I think it's important to know
> the version that I'm looking at, so I hope that can be put back.

I'll see if that is available in M2, but that is not part of the skin.
If it's in there it is an addition to site.xml, which for commons-lang
is just something I put together quickly for now. We should however
create a "parent" site.xml for all of commons. This gets inherited,
published and versioned along side of our parent pom.xml. But that's an
issue for another thread :)

> * The current page now shows in the menu as black, and looks the same as a
> menu heading. Previously it was bolded blue, which made it a distinct style
> from other items and from the headers.

Yes, hmm. The current page is no longer a link, like it was in M1, so I
was reluctant to change it to a "link-like" color. It should be doable
though, if you feel strongly about it. Perhaps a slightly lighter shade
of gray rather than black?

> Other than that, they look a lot alike. ;-)
>
> --
> Martin Cooper
>

> Definitely don't care  that 'About Lang' is gone; and I'm not bothered
>> that 'Development Process' is gone either. I presume these are
>> standard Maven things that have gone from m1 to m2.
>>
>> Hen
>>
>> On 12/27/06, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > Finally I took the time to sit down and create a Maven 2 skin for
>> > Jakarta Commons. What I have done is taken maven-classic-skin and
>> > combined that with the stylesheet rules that can be found in the
>> > site.xml file in commons/trunks-sandbox. Then I played around with the
>> > site for commons-lang to try to create a site that resembles what we
>> get
>> > when we build the site using Maven 1.
>> >
>> > A SNAPSHOT of the skin has been uploaded to the Apache M2 SNAPSHOT
>> > repository, so you don't need to build it yourself to try it. You may
>> > need to tweak some files in your component to be able try out the skin.
>> > Instructions for this is on the wiki [1]. They should really be in SVN
>> > along with commons-skin, but I figured we should use wiki to get things
>> > started.
>> >
>> > To make it easier for you to review I have staged the commons-lang site
>> > that was generated using Maven 2 and commons-skin [2]. Compare it to
>> the
>> > original commons-lang site [3] and give me some feedback.
>> >

>> > [1] http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/UsingCommonsSkin
>> > [2] http://people.apache.org/~dennisl/commons-lang/
>> > [3] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/lang/
>> >
>> > --