commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [io] Non-encoding versions of readFileToString etc
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 23:13:35 GMT
Sorry to reply to my reply, but I figure I kept on digging and having opinion:

We have encoding in io.* in two places, FileUtils and IOUtils. In
IOUtils we provide the default variant, in FileUtils we don't. In
IOUtils we say:

"You are encouraged to always specify an encoding because relying on
the platform default can lead to unexpected results, for example when
moving from development to production."

This seems incorrect to me. If I set the encoding so it works on my
development machine, it's going to fall over when it goes to
production (assuming the implied difference). However if I rely on the
default encoding, then it'll work fine. This does rely on the
application being in charge of writing and reading the file; or at
least the machine it is on being in charge of that; but that seems to
me to be a more common use case by far.

I'll shut up now and let people reply.

Hen