commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] releases
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:07:49 GMT
Updating this thread; Digester, DbUtils, FileUpload and Discovery are
now all released. That leaves us with:

* Logging 1.1.1 - I see 3 fixed issues in JIRA and nothing left to do.
However there are 7 issues without a version which might mean they've
not been looked at.

* IO 1.3 - 1 issue to be resolved and then we can release.

* FileUpload  1.2 - 1 issue to be resolved - blocked by IO 1.3. 7 unversioned.

* Betwixt 0.8 - In the release process. Versions don't seem to be
actively used in JIRA.

BeanUtils is a fair way away, SCXML sounds like it'll be in a couple
of months, Lang needs to decide if it should target 2.3 or 3.0 and
start churning. DBCP 1.2.2 sounds like it getting closer and closer, 1
issue in 1.2.2, but 11 still unscheduled. Afaik, Pool is at the
revolution stage, unless DBCP requires a minor release.

Any others getting close?

Validator and DbUtils are now back at the beginning of new dev
releases. Discovery and Attributes are 6 foot under (I hope :) ).

----

[off on a tangent]

The unversioned-and-possibly-not-looked-at bit above is due to how I'm
reading the JIRA projects.
An issue coming in has 4 possible answers:

1) Put it in the currently working on version.
2) Put it in the next version. This is an acknowledgement that it's a
problem, or that it's an enhancement that shows merit; but not a
guarantee that it will go in that version. It's both 'next version'
and 'someday'. Comments to the effect of "unit-test + patch and we can
push it up to [current-version]" might be suitable.
3) Say "No" by resolving it wontfix etc.
4) Comment. This is a conversation with the aim of achieving one of 1, 2 or 3.

I think this is a very low-energy, high-return way to manage our
components. One of my todos is a weekly report that lets us know how
many issues are in which state in the jira projects; and how many new
ones there are that week etc. Also it should highlight ones that need
a release [X resolved for an unreleased release and nothing unresolved
-> possible-release!].

Any thoughts?

Hen