commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject [Digester] Change of Maven Group Id
Date Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:56:43 GMT
While trying to verify the patch I'm proposing for DIGESTER-110, I tried
temporarily modifying my Maven2 POMs for Shale to pick up the new version.
I noticed that the groupId for Digester is being changed from
"commons-digester" (as it was before), to "org.apache.commons" (in the
1.8-RC1 version).  While I can see the logic of this change, it is going to
be very disruptive to downstream users who use Maven to build with.  Such
projects will have declared a dependency on the old combination
(commons-digester:commons-digester), meaning you will often end up with two
copies of Digester (one matching the old combination, one for the new) in
dependent applications -- unless you explicitly exclude the old-style ones
-- and those are often inherited as transitive dependencies, and are thus
pretty hard to track down.

I presume that this is being done as part of some Commons-wide policy
change?  If so, it's incumbent on us to clearly document the impact of this
change on downstream users, because it is going to be pretty disruptive
until all downstream users have rev'd their POMs to reflect the new
versions.

Craig