commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 'End of Life' policy in Jakarta; was Re: [VOTE] JCL dependency versions
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 21:07:48 GMT
> On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 15:26 -0500, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> > On 11/1/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:

> > I wasn't implying we require JCL 1.1 now, but that when we do, we
> > diligently upgrade with each new release (for those components that
> > release). Otherwise we have Foo that needs 1.0.2 and Bar that needs
> > 1.1 and it cannot be obvious to everyone what its implication on
> > needing Foo and Bar together is.
> >

> Rahul,
>
> I am fine with (and probably in favor of) all Commons simultaneously
> upgrading to a specific version of JCL (or any other common dependency).
> In practical terms, though, that would pretty much mean that I
> personally stop testing the component(s) I am maintaining against older
> versions of JCL, thus rendering them de-facto EOL. Wouldn't it be better
> to just come out and declare JCL x.y.z end-of-life / no longer
> supported?

<snip/>

EOL might be a nice way to play out that "prodding other projects to
move" thing that was discussed lately. If maintainers of Foo don't
mind caring about all major version branches, they're free to not
declare any as EOL'ed (to save us from the special case arguments).

I personally wouldn't be too keen on maintaining more than one branch
for some things I'm more closely involved in.

-Rahul