commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sandy McArthur" <sandy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [collections-generics] [PROPOSAL] Remove all author and since version tags
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2006 17:16:00 GMT
On 11/4/06, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> As this is a 'new' project, I propose that we:
>
> - remove all @author tags - this complies with previous ASF board
> suggestions

I maintain my position that if people didn't want their name there
they wouldn't have put it there and if someone put a non-trivial
amount of effort into something then they should receive credit. I
still think the ASF board's suggestion on this misguided unless they
are willing to anonymize the source repositories too.

> - remove all @since tags - as its incompatible anyway, and will probably
> end up in a separate package, these have no real meaning

I think all @since tags should be set to the first official release
they'll be in. While they provide little value for the "first" release
of code, their value increases over time as there are more official
releases. In a few years when my project at work is still using
collections 5.7 and collections 6.4 is the latest release it's nice to
be able to look at the Javadocs online and see if that method I want
to call has been around a while or in a newer release than the one
we're using.  If people never forgot to put them in it would be fine
to only have @since tags on code added since the beginning. Since
people do forget, if they are supposed to always be there then you can
use code inspection tools to check to see where they are missing when
preparing a release candidate.

--
Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine