commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Schindl <lis...@bestsolution.at>
Subject Re: [BeanUtils] Why does needs the method declaring a class to be public
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:38:09 GMT
Hi,

Craig McClanahan schrieb:

[...]

> If BeanUtils is going to continue to evolve on the trajectory that seems to
> be epitomized by recent comments on the mailing list and in JIRA issues, it
> will need to be modified to deal with scenarios like this.  On the other
> hand, more modern approaches to both configuration management (alternative
> strategies for parsing configuration files plus completely different
> approaches like JAXB), plus the decoupling of modern web frameworks from
> hard coded things like a Struts ActionForm, means that my personal need to
> care about what happens in BeanUtils is pretty much zero.  I don't consider
> it an appropriate place to do innovative development, but if you are
> interested in improving support for legacy applications then it is (of
> course) fertile ground for incremental improvements -- some of which could
> be pretty substantial improvements in usabilty.

Well for me BeanUtils are a really usable components because the classes
I need to deal with in my framework are not 100% JavaBeans (they are
SWT-Widgets I'm loading from XML-Spec to design GUIs in a language
called XSWT) so other technologies to instantiate them fail for me
miserably and BeanUtils really help me here a lot to set the various
values with nearly no custom code.

Tom