commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Jakarta-commons Wiki] Trivial Update of "MathFaq" by aeriform
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 06:39:55 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by aeriform:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/MathFaq

The comment on the change is:
fix'd speliing erorrs

  Follow the directions under "contributing" in the [[http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/math/developers.html
Commons Math Developers Guide]]. Feedback and contributions from all interested parties are
welcome. Extensive Java or mathematical knowledge is not required to participate (though some
knowledge of one or the other is certainly helpful ;-)

  === 1. Are instances of org.apache.commons.math.stat.descriptive.DescriptiveStatisticsImpl
thread-safe? ===
- No, they are not.  By design, we chose not to introduce thread semantics into the classes.
This allows the library to be used in environments were thread management by the application
is to be avoided.  The same is true of many other classes in commons-math, including the solvers
in the analysis package.
+ No, they are not.  By design, we chose not to introduce thread semantics into the classes.
This allows the library to be used in environments where thread management by the application
is to be avoided.  The same is true of many other classes in commons-math, including the solvers
in the analysis package.

  === 2. Can code derived from "Numerical Recipes" routines be included in commons-math? ===
  Algorithms implemented in "Numerical Recipes" are [http://www.numerical-recipes.com/infotop.html#distinfo
licensed under terms] that are incompatible with the Apache license.  As such, commons-math
can not contain any code derived from these routines.  The precedent we have established is
to not allow any code developed using NR as a source and instead find alternate citations
for the algorithms detailed in NR.